When melting chocolate be careful to not allow any moisture or steam to come in contact with the chocolate otherwise it can seize or stiffen.
To Melt on a Stove Top
- Chop the chocolate into large chunks and place inside a heat safe bowl.
- Place the bowl over a pot of barely simmering water creating a “double boiler“. Do not allow the bottom of the bowl to come in contact with the water.
- Give the chocolate a stir periodically as it begins to melt down. When the chocolate is completely liquefied remove the bowl from the heat and allow it cool slightly. Do not cover the chocolate as it cools.
To Melt in a Microwave
- Chop the chocolate into large chunks and place inside a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat the chocolate on medium (50% power) for one minute.
- Continue to melt the chocolate in 30 second increments to prevent it from scorching.
- When the chocolate looks shiny and soft remove it from the microwave. It will not completely melt in the microwave but as its stirred it will become smooth and liquid.