I absolutely love flavored olive oil and flavored balsamic vinegar. They pack such a delicious punch and can really elevate your dish to something extra special. My favorite place to shop for these fine goods is at The Amazing Olive in downtown Port Jefferson, NY. Their store is beautiful and very well laid out with plenty of rustic charm and ambiance to go around. The best part is that you can sample ALL of the delicious oil and vinegar that they offer and with so many flavors to choose from, you might want to visit on an empty stomach!
A really good olive oil and balsamic vinegar are two staples in my home. My favorites are their Tuscan Seasoned Blend Olive Oil which is perfectly seasoned with just the right amount of garlic flavor and their 25 Star Balsamic Vinegar which is rich, thick and so complex in flavor. Both are incredible and are a “must have” in my kitchen. I love to use the olive oil for dipping and to add extra flavor to my Italian Tomato Sauce . Also, a little drizzle goes a long way in adding amazing flavor to my Italian Meatballs as well.
Some other notable favorites of mine are their Apricot Organic Balsamic Vinegar and Blood Orange Infused Olive Oil both of which are so light and fruity. They are the perfect addition to a fresh, crisp salad and so much more flavorful and better for you than store-bought bottled dressings. I have a vast selection of their oil and vinegar because it’s just too hard to choose one or two plus, they are so versatile so the more the better. You can use them to flavor meats, drizzle on fruits and veggies, add to sauces and stews or even bake with them! Check out their Butter Flavor Infused Olive Oil for use in all of your baking.
Aside from their expansive selection of oil and vinegar The Amazing Olive also offers an array of other wonderful products such as unique salts and spice rubs, an assortment of jams and jellies, gift baskets and handmade bath products! If you’re a local, you can even host a Tasting Party for up to 12 of your friends at both the Port Jefferson and Patchogue locations. Click here for more details on scheduling! Lastly, gourmet oil and vinegar make fabulous gifts and party favors and The Amazing Olive will help to make your event more special and memorable with personalized bottles complete with your choice of sayings, dates and pictures. Check out all of these great offerings the next time you’re in town.
Don’t live on Long Island? No worries! All of their amazing products can be ordered online by clicking here . Enjoy!
I will preface this by saying I do not in any way work for nor do I get any kickbacks from Penzeys however, I feel that I have an obligation to share when I find something amazing and Penzeys is truly amazing!!! Their spices and seasonings are without a doubt the best I’ve ever had. Everything tastes so fresh and bright as if it was bottled five minutes before they sent it to you. I’ve literally fallen head over heels in love with this company’s products!!
They are also super affordable, their prices are so much better than what you will find for stale, old spices in the supermarket and they run amazing deals on a consistent basis as well. Every order over $30 is free shipping and sometimes they will lower that amount down to only $20! Also, they always include one (or two) of their spices as a free gift when you spend over $50. Plus, if you sign up for their emails, they will also send you a slew of promo codes for free spices and some they will even send to you without having to buy a thing! No obligation. TOTALLY FREE SPICES!! You cannot beat that deal!
They carry every spice and seasoning you possibly can think of and then some! They have baking spices, chili spices, salad seasonings, different types of peppers, vanilla beans, salt free options, and more! All are available in different sizes and at different price points, many coming in at under $3 for the smallest jar. Some of my favorites are:
- Shallot Pepper – This is OUT OF THIS WORLD! The smell alone will make your mouth water. It contains coarse salt, Tellicherry black pepper, shallots, tarragon, and bay leaves and it can be used on everything from meats to veggies. It’s one of a kind, I am crazy about it!
- Penzeys Pepper – This is a nice, bold pepper but it’s finely ground so it blends in nicely on your food and in recipes.
- Sunny Paris – This is a delicious blend of purple shallots, chives, green peppercorn, basil, tarragon, chervil, bay leaf and dill weed. It’s great on chicken, fish, or veggies and you can even combine it in yogurt for a yummy dip.
- Penzeys Cinnamon – Literally the BEST, most fragrant cinnamon I’ve ever had. A little goes a long way with this one.
- Lemon Peel – The second you open the jar it smells like fresh lemons are bursting out. This is absolutely wonderful for the times you need a little lemon zest but are out of fresh lemons.
- Cinnamon Sugar – This has the most perfect blend and balance. It makes for the best cinnamon toast too!
- Air Dried Shallots – These smell amazing and work great in any recipe that calls for fresh, diced shallots.
- Apple, Pie, Pumpkin, and Baking Spices – It will smell like fall in your kitchen. Each one of these are amazing and they add incredible flavor to any baked goods.
- Tuscan Sunset – This is a really fragrant and delicious salt free seasoning that pairs well with most everything.
- Natural Cocoa Powder – This is a really rich grade of cocoa and it will make your baked goods taste extra awesome.
These are just a few of the amazing products they off but the list of my favorites could go on forever. They really are incredible and because they are so inexpensive, you won’t feel bad trying out a few. Check out their website (Penzeys Spices) and take a look around at all of the wonderful things they offer. They even have a really nice cooking page where a ton of recipes are available. Give them a try and then comment below and let me know what you think. You can thank me later!! lol I have no doubt that Penzeys will become your “go-to” place for spices. Enjoy!
“How did you just whip that up?”
It’s the one comment I get over and over again. People always seem surprised that on any given day I’m able to pull together a from scratch dessert or a quick dinner. My response, it’s SO simple to do when you have a well stocked pantry and fridge. Seriously. That is literally all there is to it. If you keep a healthy stock of the basics on hand you will be shocked by just how many dishes you’re able to pull together without having to make a list and run off to the supermarket.
So let’s jump into it. Below is a list of items that I find to be essential in my pantry/freezer/fridge. This list isn’t written in stone so depending on your likes and needs, adjust it so that it works for you. I know the list sounds like a lot but I’m sure many of you already have *most* of these things on hand, just fill in the gaps with the essentials that you’re missing. Once you stock up, you’ll be good to go for quite some time. Most of these items I’m not buying often, only a few do I have to buy more regularly.
Once you get in the habit of stocking up and having the essentials on hand, you will find that is so much easier to get dinner on the table or whip up a quick dessert. Keeping my house well stocked has really changed the way I cook, with these essentials there are countless things that I can make or bake with NO advanced planning or running to the supermarket. It doesn’t get any better than that!
In the Pantry
- Flours (All-Purpose, Wheat, Bread, and Cake)
- Sugars (Granulated, Light or Dark Brown, Turbinado, Confectioner’s)
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bars
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla Beans
- Pure Extracts (Vanilla, Almond, Coconut, and Hazelnut)
- Cream of Tartar
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Yeast (Rapid Rise and Regular)
- Cupcake liners
- Shredded Coconut
- Jams and Jellies
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Evaporated Milk
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Syrup
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Popcorn Kernels
- Crushed tomatoes
- Stocks (Beef and Chicken)
- Long Grain Rice (Brown and White)
- Beans (Small Red Kidney and Baked)
- Pasta in various shapes
- Breadcrumbs (Seasoned and Panko)
- Onion Soup Mix
- Black Olives
- Oil (Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Vegetable, and Canola as well as flavored oils)
- Vinegar (A really good Balsamic, White, and Apple Cider)
- Extra condiments so I don’t run out (Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo etc)
- Syrup (Pure Maple and Aunt Jemima)
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Various Seasonings and Spices (Paprika, Basil, Oregano, Poultry, Red Pepper, etc)
- Fresh Garlic
- Coffee Beans
- Various Teas
- Mustard (Dijon and Deli)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Green Olives
- A-1 Steak Sauce
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Large Eggs (at least 2-3 dozen)
- Butter (Whipped, Salted Sticks, Unsalted Sticks)
- Half and Half
- Heavy Cream
- Ricotta Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Various Cheeses ( Mozzarella, Cheddar, Shaved Parmesan, Locatelli, etc)
- Pie Crusts
- Baby Carrots
- Apples and Oranges
- Lemons and Limes
- Various Meats (Chicken Breasts, Ground Beef, Stew Meat, London Broil, etc. – I buy in bulk at BJ’s, portion it out and vacuum seal it so it lasts a long time and stays fresh)
- Homemade Waffles and Pancakes
- Homemade Cookie Dough
- Butter Sticks
- Mozzarella (I stock up when they go on sale and freeze)
- Veggies – Steam Bag variety
- Various Frozen Fruits
- Herbs (Basil, Parsley, Thyme, etc)
- Italian Bread